Monday, August 2, 2010

Guidelines and Suggestions for Facebook Users

Having been on Facebook since it first began years ago, when it was only for college students, I've seen how much the website has changed and grown. I feel that there are perhaps a few things that I may suggest for all Facebook users, you know, just as a suggestion or recommendation. Some of these things I have learned the hard way, from making the mistakes myself, or seeing close friends and family do the same-- so I felt it may be helpful to compile a few lists of do's and don't's for all Facebook users. Please bear in my this is only MY opinion, which really doesn't really mean much. But read away if you're interested. Of course there are exceptions to every rule as always.

1. True friends don't post ugly pictures of one another. (or scandalous, risque, or embarrassing ones)
2. Just because you may curse in real life doesn't mean you should on Facebook. Some people's parents, grandparents, aunts, uncles, etc. are on this website now. Though it may not be offensive to you, it may be to others.
3. Please keep your daily status updates to a few sentences. If you write a paragraph or novel as your daily status, I will not read it.
4. Just because we have the exact same first and last name doesn't mean I want to be friends with you (unless I actually know you).
5. I love my pets just as much as the next person (perhaps even more) but if you make an album of pictures labeled something like "my babies" and it consists only of pictures of your cats or dogs, I will not look at them. Put a few pictures of them here or there but not excessively and not in their own album.
6. If you get into an argument or fight with your boyfriend/girlfriend or (even worse) wife or husband don't change your marital status to "single" because you are mad.
7. Even if someone has hurt or wronged you please don't slander them on Facebook. Even if you are an innocent victim it makes your credibility and integrity doubted when you post all the juicy details all on Facebook.
8. No I do not play Farmville. Please quit asking me to buy or give you a cow.
9. Please no doom and gloom and/or vague status updates such as "FML" or "Can't believe what just happened" or "excited about the future...". We're need more details please, don't just leave us all hanging here...
10. This isn't really a rule, but more of a personal request, please tag yourself in the pictures you post. I am too lazy to go through every album, its easier to just click on "pictures of ____" and see them all right there.
11. If I don't know you, please don't ask to be my friend random sketchy guy who lives in Idaho.

And, on a side note, perhaps a personal complaint to Facebook creators--I often don't post or "like" friends comments or status updates as much as I want to, because I don't want an email and notification every single time others comment or like the same thing. Its a pain in the butt because my phone goes off every single time. I usually only want to know if that person comments back, not others. 15 notifications is a little excessive just because I "liked" someones status.

Okay, that's all I got for now. Please take no offense to this, I am only half serious (or not). Feel free to post any comments or suggestions you may have for other Facebook users.

4 comments:

  1. Hey Jess! I'm a blog stalker :). Regarding your last "complaint", you can amend/edit your notification settings. Click on Account -> Account Settings -> Notifications. Then select or deselect when and how you want to be notified. Wall post options are way down on the list. Love the blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahh thank you for the tip-that will be very helpful! Thanks for reading! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so glad that I don't have to deal with facebook privacy or annoying issues anymore!
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Is #1 directed towards me?! :) I know that I don't on Facebook, but blogs are in the same category I am assuming...I am trying to make sure the pics I post are acceptable from here on out! :) Just messing with you!Love you!

    ReplyDelete