Monday, December 6, 2010

Books to read for even non-readers

I am a bookworm. Nerd. There, I have said it. It took me a long time to admit it but I can now be proud and say I love to read. A lot. Ever since I was very young, since elementary school I have read. I had bookshelves in my room growing up that were overflowing with Sweet Valley Twins and Babysitters Club and Ghosebumps books. I remember staying up late on New Years Eve as a child reading a book. During college I was too busy with school and you know, partying, to read often, but after graduating I found myself itching to start reading again. So here I am as an adult being an avid reader, again. I am the proud owner of a Nook, Barnes and Nobles version of a ebook reader (like Kindle). I also like to frequent the thrift stores to find cheap good books as well. And for Christmas, there is nothing more than I love to give than a book. I think there is nothing more personal than picking out a book you think would inspire/entertain/educate/etc. and giving it to a loved one. The problem is that a lot of people say they don't like to read. I say to that you "non-readers" must not have read a good book. Because once you have begun a good book, you can't put it down and often find your mind wandering back to the story. You feel sadness when you reach the last page because you will no longer spend time with the characters that you have grown to love. With that being said, I would like to give some "non-readers" and fellow bookworms some great book recommendations. I have read probably hundreds of books in the last year or two so I feel I have pretty good say when I say these books are amazing.

1. Water for Elephants by Sara Gruen. -I thought this book sounded weird being about a young adult joining the circus in the early 1900's. It ended up being amazing. Great. Funny. Romantic. Ironic. And, apparently the folks in Hollywood loved it too because they are making a movie based on it. Don't wait until the movie comes out, read the book. I promise you'll love it.

2. The Help by Kathryn Stockett-Again, I thought this book didn't sound great. It's based on women in the south during the 60's who have African American "help" working in their homes. I LOVED it. It is touching, hilarious, and really gives you insight as to how life was like during this time for those who were working in the homes during and after the civil rights era.

3. The Forgotten Garden by Kate Morton-Great mystery about a young girl during the early 1900's who was separated from her family and later tries to find them. It's not only about this woman, but her ancestors, children, and grandchildren. It has romance and mystery and I had a hard time putting it down. A must read.

4. The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Society by Mary Ann Shaffer- Kind of weird that this whole book is composed of letters based around an author living in Europe during and after WWII and the German invasion. She begins corresponding and eventually visiting the people on the island of Guernsey and learning of how they lived during the German Occupation. It's funny, cute, easy to read, and educating.

5. The Kite Runner by Khaled Hoseeini-This book is not for the faint of heart or beginners. This is a very deep, touching book based on two young boys living in Afghanistan and their lives being affected by the change in political power and the Taliban. It even sounds boring as I type this but it is not at all and I just could not leave this off my list. It is a great, powerful, and sad story and is definitely a great read. Be prepared with your Kleenex's while reading though.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the suggestions & I promise to read "The Help" soon. :)

    ReplyDelete