Monday, February 14, 2011

Momite's Lasagna

You didn't think I would rant and rave about my Momite's lasagna and not post the recipe, did you?! I have included step-by-step directions along with pictures for your viewing and potential tasting pleasure. So we will begin, ingredients:

-1/2 lb ground beef (Matt is a beef lover so we used 1 lb) -1 onion (I only used 1/2)
-1 large can of crushed tomatoes -1/2 teaspoon tyme
-12 oz tomato paste -1 teaspoon salt
-1 T (tablespoon) sugar -1 Tablespoon Fresh oregano or 1/2 teaspoon dried
-2 bay leaves -1/4 teaspoon garlic salt
-1 lb of Ricotta Cheese -1 Tablespoon fresh basil or 1/2 teaspoon dried
-Mozzarella Cheese (I used about 2 lbs) -14 Lasagna Noodles
-2 eggs -1/2 teaspoon fennel seeds (I didn't use these)
-grated Pecorino Cheese (found in specialty cheese area)
Step 1: Cook Lasagna Noodles.



Once completed, place on wax paper or tin foil to prevent sticking. (If my noodles look weird it is because I used whole wheat--much better nutrition and same taste)

Chop onion and herbs for the sauce.

Brown Ground beef with chopped onion. Drain after.


Add tomato paste, tomatoes, and herbs. Bring to a boil stirring, reduce heat and simmer covered for 30 minutes.


In a separate bowl, mix 2 eggs and ricotta cheese.
Layer noodles on bottom of 13 x 9 casserole dish (we used this smaller dish and made another even smaller batch to freeze and eat later). Overlap the noodles when layering.


Next layer the Ricotta cheese mixture.
Sprinkle the Mozzarella Cheese on top.

Next layer the sauce and meat mixture.

Complete the layer one more time and top with the Pecorino Cheese (I also sprinkled a little more Mozzarella cheese-who says you can have too much cheese?!)
Bake on 375 for 45 minutes. Enjoy!














3 comments:

  1. I'm so trying this recipe! I've never met a pasta I didn't love and this one looks yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. YUM! And how have I not known you had a blog?!!! I love reading blogs, and now feel like I need to start at the beginning of yours and catch up! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. It was great! And Val-follow me!! :)

    ReplyDelete